Tuesday 15 February 2011

Research Methods

There are 4 different types of research methods:
- Primary
- Secondary
- Quantitative
- Qualitative

Primary
This is any personal research that you have done through the use of surveys, questionnaires, letter, emails and textual analysis. So far, the only type of primary research I have done myself is textual analysis. For example, I have analysed several magazines surrounding the music genre I am basing my music magazine on. I am also hoping to carry out a questionnaire at some point soon to help me out with what exactly my target audience want when I come to produce my final piece.

Secondary
This includes any research that has already been carried out. So for example, the internet and books. Most of my research so far has been internet based, and I haven't really looked at any books because they tend not to be as current as the internet because facts and information change so quickly and constantly that books are not always up to date. The most useful media aspect to research with the use of books of the layout and the design of magazines because this has stayed fairly consistent for many years now, and so the information in books will be accurate. There are two types of internet websites: industry and individual. An industry website is any website set up by a company or certain brand (e.g. Kerrang! website).
An individual website can be something like a blog where an individual is stating their views and opinions. The internet is extremely useful to me during research because it is so fast and so easily accessible both at school and at home. In addition to this, I don't yet have to personally pay the internet bills, which makes it even more convenient for my use.

Quantitative
This type of research includes anything to do with numbers or patterns or trends which can be found when people take out questionnaires. For example, if a lot of questionnaires are distributed, when they come back, they can be analysed in detail to find any particular trends that the answers follow.

Qualitative
This type of research is much more meaningful and much more focused on the thoughts and feelings of people. This kind of information can be discovered during interviews, which are much more personal than giving out surveys or questionnaires.

No comments:

Post a Comment